Got this tips from the people at IBM.
These tips are a must not only for System Administrators but also for all UNIX users.
Ten good habits to adopt are:
- Make directory trees in a single swipe.
- Change the path; do not move the archive.
- Combine your commands with control operators.
- Quote variables with caution.
- Use escape sequences to manage long input.
- Group your commands together in a list.
- Know when
grepshould do the counting — and when it should step aside.
- Match certain fields in output, not just lines.
- Stop piping